November 25, 2014

What's At the Top of Your Priority List?


 BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ… I grabbed the iphone and turned off the alarm. Then, without even thinking twice, I clicked on the Facebook App to see what everyone was up to. I hadn't even rolled out of bed yet, but there I was scrolling through the newest updates. Kim posted a new picture of her cat, Mr. Furry Paws. John had been up since 3am getting ready for his fishing trip. And Amanda changed her profile picture to show off her new hair cut. Yeah, yeah, yeah…. I'll admit that looking at that sea of updates wasn't very necessary to start my day. 

After I finally slipped on my slippers and wondered downstairs to make some coffee, I realized that I had completely skipped my morning devotional and prayer. It wasn't that big of a deal, was it? I kept going on with my morning routine as usual, but began to feel a strong conviction. I realized that this type of thing had happened more than once. It was time for a self evaluation. 

What had been occupying my time, thoughts, and energy? What was most important to me? I certainly loved Jesus more than Facebook.  So, why did my actions reveal that He was not my highest priority? And it wasn't just Facebook ether, there were plenty of other things that I was putting first on my list before time with Him. Many daily responsibilities and activities, like laundry, cleaning, working out, and running odd errands seem to come first. The light bulb went off! My priorities were distorted and that had been distracting me from God.

So, here is the solution that I came up with. I'm just going to lock myself up in a box and avoid all of life that surrounds me. Sound like a nice plan? Well, it's actually much simpler and a lot less ridiculous of a lifestyle change. The scriptures say that we should seek the things above, setting our minds to them and not the things of the earth (Colossians 3:1-2). We are also told to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul,  mind, and strength (Mark 12:30). You see, the most important changed that I needed to make was staying focused on the bigger picture. No, I'm not talking about that new Netflix movie that you just watched on your giant HD television. I'm talking about serving our Lord and Savior before all other things. I needed to step up and take action.

I decided to schedule time every morning to be with God. This meant that I would talk, pray, and be alone with Him before my day got into full gear. It's amazing that after closing my eyes and just being alone with Him, I become rejuvenated and ready to take on the day. I will admit though, sometimes I still forget or put it off. I am just more aware of it now and glad to have that conviction tugging at me.

If any of you have struggled with this same issue, I’d love to hear your story. How have you made steps to nip that bad habit in the bud? How has putting God at the top of your priority list changed your life? Feel free to comment below.