December 6, 2014

Are You A Football Widow Or A Team Player?


Go Team! What Team?


I'm going to break it down for you, when it comes to most sports, I haven't a clue. I was raised by my single mother and grew up along side an older brother who was more into skate boards and guitars, than sports. So, when I first witness my adrenaline filled husband wearing his team's colors and shouting at the players from our living room sofa, it was quite an experience. My first thought was, "You know they can't hear you from this side of the TV, right?" I soon notice that when football was on, he became in a trance-like state and I became magically invisible. I took it personally that my caring, loving, and sweet husband would rather spend time watching the NFL, than with me. The bitterness started to kick in and football season had become a wedge in between us.

The day I decided to become a team player instead of a football widow forever changed my marriage. Over time, I realized that no matter what I did or said, watching football was a big part of who my husband was. Like many men, his childhood dream was to become a professional player. He took joy in it and I was being very unlovable by nagging him every time a game was on. In Ephesians 5:22, we are told to submit to our husbands, as to the Lord. You might find it odd that I just referenced a Bible verse about submission while writing a post about football, but it actually makes perfect sense. You see, instead of having a gentle and peaceful attitude towards my husband, I was just grumbling and being very disrespectful about it. My selfishness was taking away a simple pleasure he looked forward to being apart of every week.


Why I changed my way of thinking and started showing support for my husband's interest in football:

  • He loves it and I love him.
  • He feels ultimately more loved and closer to me when I support his interest.
  • He works hard to provide for our family and deserve to have an outlet to relax and enjoy something fun.
  • He's Home! (Maybe he's glued in front of the TV, but at least I know exactly where he is and what he's doing.)
  • It's a form of therapy for him
  • It's helps him bond and socially connect with other males in his life.

The bottom line is that watching football to men is like watching "The Notebook” to women. They get the same high watching men take part in a war-like battle over a dumb football as we do in watching Allie and Noah's spectacular love story unfold. It's really not that important that we woman understand all the plays, the rules, or why it has to be so darn aggressive. The key here is that we aim to be supportive and loving wives towards our husbands.

So, are you ready to become a team player?



Related Scriptures:


Ephesians 5:22
Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.

Proverbs 17:22
A joyful heart is good medicine.

Galatians 5:13
Through love serve one another.

Genesis 2:18
Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”