December 4, 2014

How To Survive Bad Music At Church

How To Survive Bad Music At Church
It’s a beautiful Sunday morning and the preacher just gave a wonderful sermon at church.  Now, it’s time to continue by worshiping with songs of praise. And then it happens….  The lead singer’s performance starts sounding like a bad American Idol audition, the guitar player just played the wrong chord (twice), and the drummer couldn’t keep a steady beat if his life depended on it. That’s right; I’m talking about those times at church when what you’re hearing isn’t such a joyful noise. 

Lately, these not so enjoyable moments have challenged my patience, acceptance, and tolerance. Our church tends to rotate musicians and singers every week, so you never know what your ears are in for. I have even found myself taking a bathroom break while certain people are on stage. Is it just me that this bothers so much? Is it possible to rejoice and praise during bad worship music?

Growing up, I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by talented musicians, singers, and songwriters. You could even say that I became somewhat spoiled while living and attending church in Nashville, TN – Music City. Music has always held a strong place in my heart and it is a big part of how I connect with God. So, I had to dig down deep and find a reasonable solution on how to deal with this problem.  After all, it was affecting my ability to keep focus on God. 



I began looking through Bible verses about music, singing, and praise. And shortly afterwards, those verses started jumping off the page and slapping some sense into me. One verse after another, God was commanding us all to sing praises to Him. He didn’t just command the Grammy Awards Winners, the multitalented musicians, and the top notch vocalist to stand confidently up and rock out for Jesus. Nope, God’s command was for all the earth to sing and make music in our heart to the Lord (1 Chronicles 16:23, Ephesians 5:19). 

How To Survive Bad Music At Church

Becoming a bit humbled by these findings, I realized that I had been acting on a selfish level. The main purpose of the music isn’t meant for me to get satisfaction, the main reason of the music is meant to bring glory to God. It doesn’t matter if the singers are off-key or if the amateur musicians make mistakes. Simply put, it’s not about me; it’s about obeying the Holy Spirit. So, instead of putting in the ear plugs this Sunday, I will look past the music mishaps and keep all my focus on praising God.

Can you relate to this post? Have you dealt with the same issue at your church? I’d love to hear about your experiences and thoughts on the matter. 


Related Scriptures:


Isaiah 12:2
"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.”

Ephesians 5:19
addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart,

Psalm 96:1-3
Oh sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth! Sing to the Lord, bless his name; tell of his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples!

Psalm 30:4
Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name.

1 Chronicles 16:23
Sing to the Lord, all the earth! Tell of his salvation from day to day.

Psalm 9:11
Sing praises to the Lord, who sits enthroned in Zion! Tell among the peoples his deeds!