January 8, 2015

The Day That Forever Changed My Life


The Day That Forever Changed My Life
The day was January 13th, 2013 and my life would soon forever be changed. As the morning fog lifted, I remember seeing the breathtaking view of The Great Smoky Mountains. Pure joy and excitement overflowed within me as I walked into the sanctuary that Sunday. My confession was heard in front of the entire congregation, close friends, and family. I proudly proclaimed Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, my Lord, and my savior. I was then baptized in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, for the forgiveness of my sins, and the gift of the Holy Spirit. As I emerged from the water, I couldn't take the smile off my face. I looked over at my mom to see tears fill her eyes. After years of living life for myself, I had finally submitted all of me to our heavenly father. To this day, there is nothing that I am more proud of.

Listed below are a few facts and scriptures for those of you who may be interested in learning about becoming baptized. God bless all of you and thank you for taking time out of your day to read this post.

1. Baptism is commanded by Christ

Matthew 28:18–20
And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

John 14:15
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

Acts 22:16
And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

John 3:5
Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.


2. What Does Baptism Symbolize?

When baptized, you are identifying with the death and resurrection of Jesus. Being submerged in water symbolizes the death and burial of sins. Emerging from the water represents being cleansed with a new life in Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Romans 6:3-4
Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.


3. Is being baptized the same as being saved? 

No, being baptized is a commitment and an act of obedience to our Lord after we have already been saved and want declare our salvation publicly.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.



Other Scripture Resources:

Matthew 3:13–17
Then Jesus arrived from Galilee at the Jordan coming to John, to be baptized by him. But John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?” But Jesus answering said to him, “Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he *permitted Him. After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him, and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased.”

Ephesians 4:4-6
There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Acts 19:5
When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

"You don't have to be a Christian to be a better person, but you
do have to be a Christian to have a new and changed heart." ~Steve White