July 14, 2015

How I Got Away With Sin



How I Got Away With Sin

Last week, I passed by an adorable tank-top in a store window that said, DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY. I'm sure the designer meant for it to be just a fun shirt with a positive vibe. However, I couldn't help but think back on how that kind of mentality was exactly what made a mess of my life in the past. You see, before I decided to surrender my all to God, I was very disillusioned. I had convinced myself that certain things were okay to do or be involved in, even if God's Word clearly stated otherwise. I was self absorbed by fulfilling my own wants, desires, and ways. And it was that type of attitude that caused my separation from our Heavenly Father.

So, how did I get away with sin? The answer is very simple, I didn't.

Truth of the matter is that none of us can pick and choose which of God's laws we should obey. God doesn't allow us to have a hall pass and wonder around life without the consequences of sin. As I learned first hand, it's simply impossible to keep dishonoring God and still stay connected to Him. Back then, I wanted so deeply to be popular and accepted by the in-crowd. And the world's view on how to conducted myself was like an inviting sports car speeding through life in a DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY gear. It became pretty easy to sin when I wasn't letting the conviction of the Holy Spirit take the wheel and drive.




If you are being lead by your flesh (emotions) instead of the conviction of The Holy Spirit, you are headed in a downward spiral just like I was. Things may seem all hunky-dory now, but the long term damage of not accepting God's guidance will be detrimental. Am I little miss perfect now? Heck no! Do I still sin and get myself into trouble? Why yes, I'm human just like you. We all fall short of the glory of God. Yet, by studying His word we can place ourselves in better positions to receive what God wants to show us.

Our God is a God of second chances. Be that as it may, we must not be deceived or mock God by knowingly being disobedient. And when we mess up it's important for us to genuinely repent, except His forgiveness, and strive to do better the next time. Once again I have to add that the more we stay in God's word, the more we can be open to hearing the conviction of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Ultimately, it's not how much of the Spirit is in us, but rather how much of us is in the Spirit.

Scripture References:

Galatians 6:1-10
Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load. Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor.

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.



Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Galatians 1:10
Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

1Corinthians 2:14-15
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments,

Romans 14:5
One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

1 John 3:20-21
for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God;

1Thessalonians 5:21
but test everything; hold fast what is good.

Philippians 1:9-10
And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ,

Romans 14:22-23
The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.

Hebrews 5:14
But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.

(Image provided by: freedigitalphotos.net)




You may also like to read:


How To Love Your Husband - Just As God Designed

How To Love Your Husband - Just As God Designed

God designed men and women to have different roles in a marriage. So, what are wives instructed to do? click here


Verses for Pain & Suffering

Pain & Suffering

A set of Bible verses you can read when you are dealing with pain, hurt, or suffering...read more




http://greatesttreasure.blogspot.com/2014/11/fertility-trusting-in-gods-timing.html

Top Tips To Lose Weight After Baby

Your beautiful bundle of joy is here, but where did that hot body of yours go? Check out these top tips to lose weight and get in shape after baby... read more


Helpful Bible Verses for Panic Attacks and Anxiety

Bible Verses For When You Are Disappointed or Discouraged

This is a list of bible verses to help you overcome those days when you are disappointed and feeling discouraged....click here




Helpful Bible Verses for Panic Attacks and Anxiety

Helpful Bible Verses for Panic Attacks and Anxiety

This is a list of helpful bible verses for when you are in need of biblical counseling for your anxiety and panic attacks....click here



A Cry Out To God -  My personal battle with depression and how I overcame it all.

A Cry Out To God 

There's a history of depressive illness in my family, so I was predisposed to have it from birth. Mix that with the environmental factors in my life and BAM! I have what I like to call, "The Double Whammy." Yes, it's a recipe for heartache, pain, and despair. I started having panic attacks, anxiety, and spells of sadness at an early age...read more



Lord, You Want Me To Do What?

Lord, You Want Me To Do What?

This is the story of how I forgave the man that molested me. After over 20 years of housing the spirit of bitterness, hate, resentment, pain, anxiety, and depression, I truly forgave this sex offender. ...read more



Bible Verses for When You Need Comfort

Bible Verses for When You Need Comfort

No matter what may be causing your suffering, sadness, pain, loneliness, grief, etc.... God knows and wants to comfort you! Just call on him...read more